What Exactly is Public Health?
So, what is Public Health? Public Health has been defined as "the science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting human health through organized efforts and informed choices of society, organizations, public and private, communities and individuals". Some examples of the many fields of public health are first responder's, health educators, scientists and researchers, nutritionists, community planners, social workers and epidemiologists. Public Health is so important because it affects people every day in every part of the world, it addresses broad issues that can affect the health and well-being of everyone. The five core disciplines of public health are behavioral science/ health education, bio statistics, environmental health, epidemiology, and health services administration. Those in the public health career field monitor health status to identify and solve community health problems, diagnose and investigate health problems and hazards in the community.,inform, educate, and empower people about health issues.
I agree Brooklin. Public health is very important. With so many healthy issues in the world it is important that we have people in these professions to help us stay up to date with medicines, vaccines, etc. There are people including myself that do not know about all the health risks and factors out there. Therefore it is important to have people across the world to educate us on that.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first came to Slippery Rock I was conflicted on what major to pick. One of the first ones that I prospected was Public Health. It's important that the public, as a whole and individually, be educated about health matters. It seems obvious and repetitive, but it really does effect each and every one of us. It's unfortunate that more people are not concerned about the growing health problems that are plaguing our country and our world.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great blog! Public health is an extremely important topic. I was a public health major for a little bit so i had the chance to learn about some worldly diseases that can be dangerous. I think education is key. We as people need to be informed about these things so that we can find different ways to help out.
ReplyDelete